Blue, blue sky. Sun with one streak of cloud. snow on the very top of the mountain. Leaves just beginning to bud. Crows flying. Birds chirping. My beard is too long.
My Special Place
Bamburi Beach, Mombasa, Kenya.
Warm, sunny, tropical, humid, coconuts, ocean breeze, swimming in clear water with a school of barracuda below. Pistachio ice cream from the Blue room. Home made fudge. Kikois and flip-flops
Its... close, yet far
I come from a mother
I will return to the ground and eventually re-emerge, recomposed as something else
MIGRATION SEQUENCE [ loc | yr ]: Nairobi | 1958 | 0 ✈ Machakos | 1959 | 0 ✈ Nairobi | 1960 | 4 ✈ London | England | 1970 | 12 ✈ Wellington | Somerset | 1971 |13 ✈ Vancouver | Canada | 1973 |15 ✈ San Francisco | 1977 | 19 ✈ Seattle | 1979 | 21 ✈ Vancouver | 1982 | 23 ✈ Milan | Italy | 1986 | 28 ✈ Bari | Italy | 1987 | 29 ✈ Milan | Itlay | 1988 | 30 ✈ Vancouver | Canada | 1996 | 38 ✈ Roberts Creek | BC | 2005 | 47 ✈ Vancouver | Canada | 2012 | 54 ✈ Malibu | 2017 | 59 ✈ Vancouver | Canada | 2018 | 60
Past | Present | Future
...pick some words that live in your past
...a few from your present
in the delta
...and one you are perhaps saving for the future
- The first smell of the ocean, still 10 miles from the coast on the drive to Mombasa.
- The smell of the earth in Nairobi after a mid-afternoon rain
- Aromas from my mum's kitchen as a child
- My mum's masala fish (tilapia) with potato curry and dahl.
- Chick-pea curry with sweet saffron rice
- Begum Auntie's kebabs
- Crickets in the evening
- The unreal swooshing of flights of birds who lived in the cliffs near Devils Tooth in Kenya
- The surf on Bamburi Beach
- My son's birth
- A leopard in the trees above my head while camping
- A massive school of barracuda 30 feet below me while snorkeling - crystal clear
- Walking on the beach in Roberts Creek, the cold squishy super green algae between my toes. Loved. Hated.
- The body tingle I get when I hear some great music, or see something amazing.
Gifts | Challenges | Aspirations
- The ability to do many things - well
- A sense of contentment I never really worked to acquire
- An anxiety that has come to just hang around
- An overly trusting nature - a projection that others also see things in the same way
- Things I drag along
- A fragmented sense of home
- To stay the course - like Parsifal "between the valleys"
- To age with grace and enjoy the fruits of time invested in life
- To stay true to the effort of leaning in to make a difference
Lost | Found
My favourite tunes
Penguin Cafe Orchestra
Oliver Schroer (Camino)
Ali Farka Toure
The big picture